From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1991 09:41:08 EDT
Buckeye Preview

Many coaches, regardless of sport, will tell you that strong
defense is the backbone of a perennially successful program.  Even on those
nights when everything seems out of synch, the offense appears to be
sleepwalking or the opposing team has you scrambling to stay afloat all game
long, a consistently effective defensive squad can keep you in contention.
And everyone knows how a turnover or strong defensive stand can alter momentum
at any time, particularly down the stretch of a hotly contested encounter when
a late score might mean the difference between "popping champagne corks",
"kissing your sister" or "visiting Heartbreak Hotel".

Well, veteran Ohio State coach Jerry Welsh has been around long enough to
have heard more than a few coaching philosophies.  In fact, he might even be
able to recite several of his own.  Welsh's primary objective in 1991-92 is to
tighten the belt a few notches and get better play on the defensive end.
After all, the Buckeyes were 10-4-2 in games where they allowed four goals or
less.  On the flipside, OSU was just 1-21-2 when the opposition lit five or
more red lamps.

"An improved defense is heavily expected," stated Welsh,now in his 17th
season behind the Buckeye bench.  "With Tim Green and Glenn Painter back in
the lineup, and healthy, there should be a big difference back there, but I
really can't talk about this year's team or wrap up last year's effort without
mentioning Mike Bales."

"Mike will be a mainstay for us.  Our MVP last year, we hope his value is
diminished this year, hopefully because of our play defensively.  Our main
priority this year is to get our goals against average down to a reasonable
level.  Mike will have a big hand in that."

The real battle between the pipes is not for the starting berth, but for the
role as Bales' primary understudy.  Veteran backup Jim Slazyk returns but will
have to ward off the challenge of highly-touted rookie Brent Convery of the
Kingston Voyageurs.

The return of Green, a medical red-shirt, and Painter, out 23 games with a
broken arm, gives Welsh two reasons to be positive about his blueliners.
Green is a steady, stay-at-home defender whose presence will help stabilize
the OSU back wall, while Painter is a dashing puckhandler and passer who may
be underrated defensively due to his offensive prowess.  Pencil in versatile
senior Brian Baldrica, who topped last year's rearguards in plus/minus rating
and you have the hub of the defense.

Five players will battle it out for the three remaining berths.  Headlining
the returnees are rangy sophomores Matt Brandt, the Buckeyes' Most Improved
Player a year ago, and recent Hartford Whaler draft choice Rob Peters, along
with hardnose third-year player John Graham.  But newcomers Sandy Fraser and
Steve Richards bring impressive credentials to the OSU camp, and should
contend for playing time once they get their feet wet.

If Welsh has an even bigger worry than improving his defense, it's molding a
more potent front line.  Burdened by an ineffective power play most of the
season, averaging just over three goals a game and losing three of last
season's top five scorers to graduation, Welsh is asking how much offense we
can generate.

"The forwards appear to be our biggest question mark.  Offense was a problem
last year and it could very well be a problem this year, so it's certainly an
area of concentration."

Two seniors top the returnees at center as feisty David Smith and
hard-hitting captain Rob Schriner are back for their final OSU campaigns.
Smith is blessed with oodles of offensive potential, all he needs is
consistency and on-ice composure in order to be a big scorer in the CCHA.
Schriner, known primarily for his ferocious checking and penalty killing
prowess, continued his season-ending scoring trend by netting 10 points (seven
goals) in OSU's final seven contests.  Flashy junior Eddie Choi is also back
and a return to his early rookie season form would provide Welsh's offense
with a much-needed boost.  Sophomore Bryan Riedel should anchor the checking
line unless Schriner returns to that role.

Veterans Greg Burke, Phil Cadman and Ron White, and speedy rookie Kevin
Powell, comprise the depth chart at left wing.  Burke totalled more points as
a junior than in his first two seasons combined.  Cadman led the nation with
six shorthanded scores, but managed just two even-strength goals.  White led
the Buckeyes with three game-winning goals a year ago.  Powell, who can also
play center, is a small, but agressive, freshman who may be even quicker than
the fleet-footed Cadman.

Returnees Scott Walsh, Mike Merriman and Greg Beaucage, and newcomers Brian
Loney and Sacha Guilbault will battle for ice time on the right side.  Walsh,
injury free for the first time in his career, also netted more points as a
junior than he did his previous two campaigns.  He could shift to left wing if
need be.  Merriman, a sophomore, began his rookie season like gangbusters, but
slowed considerably over the long haul.  Beaucage opened the year on defense,
but returned to right wing near midseason.  He probably will be used most
frequently on the checking line.  Loney, perhaps the most highly acclaimed of
the newcomers, is a power player who should fit in nicely, particularly at
home, while Guilbault's game is more finesse-oriented.  Both should help.

"We need to take care of our own business first and become a better hockey
club and a more consistent hockey club.  But I think we've got a better chance
this year than last year to finish in fourth spot or better," added Welsh.
--
Keith instone @ (euclid bullwinkle andy) .bgsu.edu