From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1991 08:52:02 EDT
Bulldog Preview

Granted, Ferris State University will not be pulling a sneak
attack on its Central Collegiate Hockey Association rivals in 1991-92.  The
beans have been spilled and the sleeping Bulldog has rubbed the sleep from his
eyes.  There will be no more surprises brewing in Big Rapids, but there is new
respect around NCAA Division I hockey for the type of program that's being
directed by second-year head coach Bob Mancini.

In Mancini's rookie season, FSU had its first winning record in 10 years
(23-14-5) and hosted a quarterfinal CCHA Playoff for the first time.  The
Bulldogs swept Bowling Green in two playoff games to advance to Joe Louis
Arena for the CCHA Championships.  Even though the Bulldogs lost 4-2 to
Michigan and 2-1 in overtime to Western Michigan at Joe Louis, it signified a
breakthrough for a hockey program that had struggled in obscurity.

"This was the first time a Ferris hockey team had played at Joe Louis, and
we went as far as we could have gone in one year," Mancini said.  "We let
people know that we are a team to be concerned with and that we can have a
top-notch program."

The Bulldogs finished third in the regular season CCHA race with a 15-12-5
record behind Lake Superior and Michigan.  A remarkable 15-game unbeaten
streak (13-0-2) during November and December pushed Ferris into the national
polls and the Bulldogs were a solid 12th in the final NCAA rankings.

Twice, the Bulldogs won at Michigan State and they beat the Spartans three
out of four times.  Lake Superior and Michigan, anked at or near the top of
the NCAA poll throughout the year, also dropped games to Ferris.  The
consistent Bulldogs, who posted a 9-7-1 road record, lost only twice in 10
total games against Bowling Green and Ohio State.

Fifteen letterwinners and a total of 10 National Hockey League draft picks
will return to soften the loss of seven seniors.  And, the Bulldog coaching
staff has signed several recruits who can quickly step in and compete at the
Division I level.

Key losses include top scorer John dePourcq (15-48-63), goal-scoring menace
Rod Taylor (41-15-56), rushing defenseman Bob Nardella (12-28-40), 6-foot-6
winger Justin LaFayette (11-9-20) and goaltender Marc Felicio (3.26, .897).

"Offensively, we're going to miss dePourcq and Taylor, but as in any year,
the players who are moving up in class will have to pick up the scoring load,"
Mancini said.  "A balanced offense will be the key to this year's team."

Junior Aaron Asp and senior Norm Krumpschmid return at center, while veteran
wingers include junior Mike May, senior Kelly Sorensen, senior Mike Jorgensen,
junior Jeff Jestadt and senior Tom O'Rourke.  Newcomers Gary Kitching, Robb
McIntyre and Doug Smith will push junior Kevin Moore, sophomore Justin George
and senior Rod Grandfield for ice time.

Kitching was MVP of the United States Hockey League and a first-team
all-star while compiling 29 goals and 64 assists in 46 games for Thunder Bay.
McIntyre had 22 goals and 32 assists in 43 games for Dubuque of the USHL.

Defensively, juniors Daniel Chaput and Daryl Filipek exchange shifts with
sophomores Dave Karpa and John Gruden to give the Bulldogs a fearsome
foursome.  Rookies Mike Kolenda and Colin Dodunski show the same promise as
their Bulldog predecessors.

"With the addition of Kolenda and Dodunski, we have put together a group of
six defensemen who can hold their own in the CCHA.  We can work with this
nucleus for the next couple of seasons and continue to refine their skills,"
added Mancini.

The Bulldogs reduced their goals against average by 1.5 per game last season
with an average of 3.37.  A quick, more agressive defense, coupled with
excellent goaltending, was the formula.

Returning to the nets will be sophomore Pat Mazzoli, a member of both the
CANSTAR/CCHA's All-Rookie team and honorable mention all-star teams.  He split
time with departed senior Marc Felicio and finished with a 13-8-1 record and a
3.13 gaa.  Mazzoli's .906 save percentage set a Bulldog record.

"The backbone of our defense is obviously Mazzoli," said Mancini.  "Going
into camp, he is the odds-on favorite to see the majority of the action."

Sophomore Craig Lisko saw limited goaltending action last year and will
enter the season as Mazzoli's primary back-up.

The CCHA continues to toughen every year and the Bulldogs have cashed in
their luxury as an unknown quantity.  Mancini's goal is to build from last
year's success and keep his program moving forward.

"I feel good because our players have learned how to win and I hope that now
they will accept nothing less," he said.
--
Keith instone @ (euclid bullwinkle andy) .bgsu.edu