From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1991 08:50:16 EDT
Flame Preview

First-year coach Larry Pedrie endured a few frustrating nights in
his initial campaign at the University of Illinois at Chicago, particularly
early in the season.  But he also saw a lot of positives and he hopes to build
on those durin gthe 1991-92 season.

"Possibly the most important thing we gained last year was confidence," said
Pedrie.  "We started the season with enthusiasm, but not confidence.  As the
season progressed the players became more confident in themselves and that
enabled us to finish fairly well.  We want to continue this year in the same
way we finished last season."

After what could have been a disastrous 0-8 start (and being outscored
48-13), the Flames played .500 (13-13-2) hockey the remainder of the regular
season and that included seven wins and a tie in the final twelve regular
season contests.  UIC also gave number one ranked Lake Superior State
University a pair of battles before falling, 5-3 and 3-1,in the CCHA Playoffs
on the Lakers' home ice.

"I'm looking forward to our continued improvement," said Pedrie.  "We were
in every game we played in the second half of the season and I think we are on
the verge of becoming a good team."

One player counted on to provide a spark to the UIC attack will be Rick
Judson, the team's top scorer a year ago.  The senior from Lambertville,
Michigan contributed a team-high 24 goals as well as 26 assists last year.
Judson, with a year still to go, already ranks sixth on UIC's career scoring
list with 125 points (57 goals, 68 assists).

The Flames' lost to graduation their next top three scorers in Larry Pilut,
Dominic Dunlap and Bob Melton.  The trio combined for 35 percent of UIC's
goals last season and 32 percent of the points.  Dunlap and Pilut were both
20-plus goal scorers with 22 and 20, respectively.  Dunlap also added nine
power play goals and a team-leading two shorthanded markers.  Pilut led UIC
with a plus/minus ranking of plus 10.

Joining Judson as offensive leaders, Pedrie hopes, will be Brad Smiley and
Randy Zulinick.  "They have not scored a lot," said Pedrie, "but they make you
believe they can."  Smiley contributed eight goals and 10 assists last winter
and was one of the catalysts when UIC broke out from the 0-8 start.  Zulinick
provided seven goals and 14 assists, and is tied for 20th on the Flames'
career scoring chart with 69 points.

Pedrie looks for increased point production from three other veterans -
juniors Troy Florell and Mike Real and sophomore Chris Watson.  "Troy and Mike
must become more consistent contributors and performers.  I think they will
since they're good kids and they play hard.  Chris had a good freshman year
and should be even better as a sophomore," commented Pedrie.  Watson received
votes in the CANSTAR/CCHA All-Rookie team balloting.

Another year of experience should also lead to improved performances from
four junior forwards in Cory Hextall, Todd Finner, Mark Ottenbreit and Link
Bessert.   Hextall chipped in with 16 points last year and was honored as the
Flames' Most Improved Player.  Finner also had 16 points, while Ottenbreit and
Bessert added 14 and five points, respectively, after transferring to UIC from
Michigan-Dearborn.

Pedrie is looking for improvement from his returnees rather than expecting
too much of his freshmen, but he did sign two players who should lend some
help.  Mark Zdan racked up 127 points (59 goals, 68 assists) in 48 games with
the Dauphin Kings last year.  Chris MacDonald collected 82 points (31 goals,
51 assists) in 36 contests with the Stratford Cullitons and was named MVP of
the Midwestern Ontario Junior B All-Star game.

According to Pedrie, a key to the season will be his team's efforts on the
blueline.  "We have three steady guys coming back - Jim Maher, Mike Dennis and
Eric Schneider.  Our returnees have to play well and then we'll see how soon
the freshmen can adjust to college hockey."

Maher and Schneider have been regulars since joining the program three years
ago, while Dennis was a pleasant surprise as a rookie.  Dennis was fifth on
the team in scoring with seven goals and 21 assists, and he was just a few
votes short of making the CANSTAR/CCHA All-Rookie team.

The Flames will, however, be looking for immediate contributions from
freshman defensemen Jeff Blum (brother of NHLer John Blum), Rob Mottau and
Shannon Finn.  Mottau captained his Archbishop William High School (Braintree,
Massachusetts) team to a state title last year, while Blum performed for the
Detroit Junior Red Wings in the North American Junior Hockey League (NAJHL)
and Finn played for the Bramalea Blues.

All three UIC netminders - Gary Mangino, Damian Holland and Jeff
Featherstone - return, but that was a sometimes shaky spot for the Flames last
winter.

"Goaltending was out most inconsistent area last year," said Pedrie.  "But
we started the season with two upperclassmen - Gary and Damian - who had not
played a lot in the past.  Now they have gained some game experience, and with
even more competition provided by freshman Jon Hillebrandt (a 1990 New York
Ranger draft pick), hopefully this will become a better position for us."

Familiarity should also help the Flames this year as Pedrie points out, "Now
the players know me, know what I expect, know my ways, and know better how to
prepare.  Because of that, I'm hoping we get off to a better start."
--
Keith instone @ (euclid bullwinkle andy) .bgsu.edu