From:
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 1995 22:59:11 -0500
#2 Brown defeated #7 Princeton tonight, 3-2, to force game 3 in their
first-to-three-points ECAC quarterfinal series.

The first period played much like last night- slow and defensive.  There were
very few scoring chances, though both teams managed to miss a golden
opportunity at an empty net.  Princeton outplayed Brown for most of the
period and lit the light first on a power play, with a far-side shot from
the left wing that backup goalie Brian Audette, replacing Mike Parsons for
the night, got a glove on but couldn't snag (I couldn't tell from where I
was sitting if it went in directly or was stuffed in).  I don't remember
the names- someone can hopefully provide a box score.  Toward the end of
the period Charlie Humber from Brown scored on a breakaway to tie it at
1-1.  Princeton complained vociferously (to no avail) although I couldn't
see why, and apparently the refs didn't either.  As if to make up for
that, a Brown player soon thereafter hit the post on another open-net
situation...

The game continued that way until almost halfway through the second period
when all of a sudden, something clicked for Brown.  They started to skate
better and faster, check better, and puckhandle better.  They pressured
the net for a long
time, only to be held back by some nice saves by Princeton goalie James Konte
before finally getting a goal through.  It didn't last long, as a Princeton
defensemen stole the puck in his end and started a 2 on 1, with a goal
coming on a nice wristshot over Audette's left shoulder.  Despite more
pressure from Brown, the period ended 2-2, but you could see Brown's
energy returning.  The whole nature of the game was changing- there was
more energy, more motion, and more penalties, including a lot of pushing
matches.  After a fairly clean game and a half, I guess something had to
give.

Brown completely controlled the third period.  Brown was constantly able to
stop Princeton before they could cross the blue line, as Princeton was
able to do to Brown last night.  On at least two occasions a Brown player
(Trach and Mulhearn each did this) went up to a Princeton player with the
puck and basically took it away from him.  Not only that, but Brown was
actually able to hang on the puck for long periods of the time to an
extent that neither team seemed to be able to do until then.  After a lot
of center zone action and some
more pressure on Konte (who had an excellent game), Brown finally got one in the
net on a shot from the slot, making the game 3-2, which is how it ended.
The third period was full of penalties (most of them matching) - I don't
think there was more than a minute at a time when no one was in the box.

Brown sophomore goalie Brian Audette had a solid game.  Brown really
showed why it was the #2 team in the last 30-35 minutes, finally picking
up the pace and
controlling the game.  Brown seems to play either a great game or a lousy game,
and you could really feel the switch halfway through the game.  Here's hoping
they can keep it up for game #3.

Question to Brown students: I won't be able to get to the game until
around 8 PM tomorrow.  Will they still be selling tickets then or should I
get one earlier in the day?

--

- Andrew Brecher ([log in to unmask])  <insert disclaimer here>