From:
David Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 1995 11:00:11 -0600
On Wed, 8 Mar 1995, Lynn Burke wrote:

>         After posting the tournament pairings, I received an e-mail
> asking about the ECAC listing for 3-point series in the first round and
> how that differs from the other conferences, who are listed for best of 3.
> Can someone elaborate because I couldn't provide the answer. Thanks.

First, you need to understand the OT rules:
        First two games have only 5 min OT.  Then it's a tie.  1 pt each.
        The third game goes until someone wins.

First team to 3 pts wins.  That means that if you get a win and a tie in
the first two games, you win the series.  Even though the other team could
win the third game (which won't be played) and "tie" the score at 3 pts each.

The third game is played only if the teams split the first two games with
2 pts each.  Then the third game is then played until somebody wins.

So, it's not really "best of 3" because there's not necessarily a winner
in the first two games.  The other conferences play every game until
someone wins.

Hope this helps.

David Sullivan

Univ. of Texas at Austin