From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 1995 23:58:47 -0500
Leigh Torbin writes:
>   Through Friday night's games this is set
>   6) Providence

Actually, PC has not wrapped up 6th yet.  This is because BC can still
tie them with 50 pts by beating BU Sat night, and BC would take the
tiebreaker (2-1-0 vs PC).  BC loses a tiebreaker to Merrimack (1-2-0).

Current 6-8 standings are:

6 PC   50
7 MC   48
8 BC   45

PC and MC are done.  BC has that one game at BU.

There are four possible outcomes in the BC-BU game, including shootout
win/loss, for BC.

The standings will end up the same if BC should lose or tie, no matter
what the outcome of the shootout is.  So, we can break it down to
two possible outcomes: if BC wins, and if BC does not win (vs BU).

IF BC BEATS BU...
6 BC   50
7 PC   50
8 MC   48
Then playoff pairings would be:
3/7  UMA @ MC (7 pm, no tv)
3/9  BC @ UNH (7 pm, NESN DB 10 pm, at BC, but UNH home)
3/10 UML @ NU (7 pm, NESN)
3/11 UMA/MC @ Maine (8 pm, NESN)
3/12 PC @ BU (7 pm, NESN)

IF BC DOES NOT BEAT BU...
6 PC   50
7 MC   48
8 BC   45/47/48
And playoff pairings would be:
3/7  UMA @ BC (7 pm, no tv)
3/9  PC @ UNH (7 pm, NESN DB 10 pm, at BC)
3/10 UML @ NU (7 pm, NESN)
3/11 UMA/BC @ Maine (8 pm, NESN)
3/12 MC @ BU (7 pm, NESN)

In short, 6-7-8 are still undecided.  PC can finish 6 or 7, BC can
finish 6 or 8, and MC can finish 7 or 8.

I notice the BC release today still has the incorrect listing of BU
hosting #7 on Friday.