From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 14:30:44 EST
HOCKEY-L has a long-standing tradition of NOT publishing game
predictions.  This is the first time I can recall anyone trying *league*
predictions, but it seems the same arguments apply...

HOCKEY-L is an information resource;  game predictions just get in the
way of us having confidence in what we read on HOCKEY-L: game
predictions are easily mistaken for actual scores.

Please do not post game predictions to HOCKEY-L.

Exceptions (there are always exceptions) are "contests" sometimes held
by various HOCKEY-L participants.  The predictions are not reported on
HOCKEY-L, but provided off-line.  Summaries of the contests are normally
provided on the list.  Also, various rating/ranking schemes have
sometimes been used to predict games, but the authors of those postings
go out of their way to show us the facts and often include additional
information such as chances for success.  Other exceptions include game
previews, where the intent of the article is to prepare us for an
upcoming game.  Almost all of our game-preview writers are smart enough
not to make predictions :)

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]