From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 1995 19:52:38 -0500
Wednesday night, Wesleyan's women's hockey team defeated Boston University
by a score of 8-0.

Due to a very unlikely series of circumstances (one ref cancelling on short
notice and the list of backups not being able to make it), an intramural
ref had to be called up to ref as the second official (2 ref, no linesman)
in the game.

Thus, this game summary is coming from the ref on the ice... me.

Although the game was not bad in the first period, BU's lack of depth (2 lines)
and Wesleyan's solid puck control wore BU down and Wesleyan opened up to a
7-0 lead at the end of two.

Wesleyan's defense clamped down in the neutral zone in the third, forcing most
of the action to take place in the BU end.  The scoring, however, let up by a
combo of Wesleyan's focus on control, BU's defensive shell, and some solid
goaltending by BU.

The reffing:  The calls were pretty much evenly split early in the game, but
with most of the rest of the game taking place in the BU defensive end, most
of the penalties for the rest of the way wound up against BU.
(most penalties committed are committed by a defending player, the rest tend
to happen in mid ice... rarely does a team with the puck commit a penalty)

Overall, it was a clean game with no altercations and, although there are
always little battles in front of the net and along the boards, there were
no major incidents or arguments between the players.

It was a different perspective for a serious game (I've only done intramural
games and those are not exactly the same) if for no other reason than the
fact that you feel you are being judged more closely for any call/non-call.

In judging myself, I would have to say I did OK based on the fact that a few
people complained that I supposedly made a bad call in the third period on
this one play where the girl who fell *supposedly* "took a dive" and I called
a trip on the play.  Two things came to mind... first:  3 periods of hockey and
one team had no complaint and the other felt I made *a* bad call... wow.
second:  Announcer and former coach Bob Norton's words come to mind... "If you
feel a stick around you like that... start moving the feet!  If you've got
your feet moving, you'll get the hooking or tripping call every time!"

They are probably right.  It probably WAS a dive.  But it was a good one.  In
my mind, I saw the stick around her and her feet moving.  When she then fell,
my arm went up.  With a side angle, I might have called it differently, but
from my angle in the corner (tripped player trying to get away from corner
with defensive player right in front of me), I would make the same call again.

One thing that does not change from intramurals to real hockey is that the
angle the ref is it makes a *HUGE* impact on how he/she sees the play and
thus, what is called.

Overall, it probably was not a very good game to watch, but it was a relatively
clean game, and that is (in my mind as a ref) probably the most important
thing.

BU is a much better team than they were in past years as the new coach isn't
expecting them to be better and screaming at them when they are not.  It
appears that no one is being expected to do something that they can not while
the individuals who can are allowed to create as they can.

Wesleyan has the overall skill to potentially make a move in the future into
the ever-expanding ECAC.  The most impressive part of their team is the puck
control displayed by the defensemen.  The stickhandling and agressive skating
allowed for quick movement through the neutral zone.

Although I don't know the exact numbers, I'm sure the shot differential
reflected this.

(I don't believe BU put any shots on the Wesleyan goalie in the third period.)

Well, that's the unusual perspective of an inter-collegiate hockey game, from
the view of a backup ref on the ice trying to be perfect and hoping he's at
least OK.

Tony

PS - I know I have a LONG way to go before I would ever consider myself a
"good" ref, but my first intercollegiate experience was an interesting one
(and nerve-wracking).  The only sick thing is that I actually sort of liked it.

PPS - Now that really *IS* sick!