From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1991 16:21:05 GMT
Mark Osiecki did not make the cut with Team USA a few weeks back.  That's
why he was back with Calgary.

I saw a box in the local paper but forgot to send it out.  It didn't contain
penalties, anyway.  From my recollection, Robert Reichel scored three goals
for Calgary.  For USA, I believe Bischoff had a SHG from Young (that pair
will do some damage shorthanded in France, mark my words; Young scored
*3* goals in one shorthanded situation while at Harvard), Young added a goal
of his own, and I forget who got the other.

I'm happy that USA Hockey has decided this time around to scrap most of
the games against NCAA teams and instead, as you can see from the schedule
posted a few days ago, almost all of the games are against pro or
international competition.  In fact, through January 22nd, Team USA will
play 31 games against international teams, 21 against NHL teams, 4 against
NCAA teams, and 1 against an IHL team.  They finish up with a tourney in
France and several games against the French team, all of which are TBA.

Contrast that with 1987-88, when Team USA played almost every DivI team
and beat up on them.  I'm happier seeing them lose to Calgary 7-3 than
seeing them beat Northeastern 12-2.  I was very angry at the USA Hockey folks
after the 1988 Games and USA's 7th place finish because I really believe
that the team had the talent to win a medal, but the poor preparation which
included almost no games on international ice prevented them from doing so.

I think that this version isn't as talented all around as 1988, although
they do come very close.  But I guarantee they will finish higher and they
should at least compete for a medal, because they will be better prepared.

I expect the fact they didn't look too good at times to Roland was because
it was only their 2nd game since August 29, and also it was only their 2nd
game against NHL competition.  Their season has just begun, and their
playoffs begin February 9th against Italy.  With Italy, Germany, Finland,
Poland, and Sweden in their group, and the top three going to the medal
round, I think it's reasonable for us to expect this team will at least
make the medal round.  IMO, they have the talent to win it all, but so do
several other teams.  It should be the closest and most interesting Olympic
hockey competition in a while.

And this comes while we're all deeply involved in the college season!  I'm
just happy USA doesn't play on Monday, Feb 10 - Beanpot night.

Does anyone know what six teams are in the other group?  I figure USSR,
Canada, France, Czechoslovakia, plus maybe Austria and Switzerland.

- mike