From:
Steve Moerland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Moerland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 1995 20:30:48 EST
    Just want to comment on something that has annoyed me since the CCHA
expanded a couple of years ago, namely the schedule.  I have no problem with
the fact that we only play every other team 3 times, there are only so many
games that can be played.  What bothers me is the way they've been handling it.
For example, MSU just played Miami for the first time last night.  All three of
our games against them come in four weeks.  This is a big disadvantage as it
turns out because, had the Spartans played them in November they would have
probably done better as Miami couldn't get out of their own way at that time.
Miami, on the other hand, has to be happy to be playing us now, heck who
wouldn't at this point?  Similarly all 3 of the Spartans games against UIC were
in the first 2 weeks.  After four games, we had played the Flames 3 times and
were done with them.  Bowling Green found themselves in a similar situation
against the Lakers.  They hadn't played them at all until this past weekend and
I'm sure they wish they could have faced them earlier when the Lakers were
struggling.
   Now, I know that all teams have streaks good and bad (well all have bad ones
anyhow) and some teams are fortunate enough to be scheduled against teams that
are in slumps.  But by lumping ALL of the games between teams so close together
the effect is heightened.  Lets say, hypothetically, that the league title was
coming down to a race between MSU and UIC this year.  The Spartans took 5 out
of six points from UIC in those first two weeks.  This was because MSU is a
better team, of course, but what if it were only because UIC was a slow-
starting team?  They would be in a hole that was neigh impossible to dig out
of.  At least one of the games should have been scheduled later in the season
to allow the Flames to at least have a chance to get their act together and
take one.
   I haven't explained this all that well, but I think you get the point.  Just
my two cents worth on a pet peeve.  Admittedly, this scheduling is not as bad
as the WCHA's practice of scheduling only two games between teams and those at
the same site.  This may well have been one of the big differences in the
league last year as CC and Minnesota only faced twice and both of those in
Colorado.
           --Steve Moerland
             MSU '92, UK '95