From:
Steve Moerland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Moerland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 16:35:44 EST
    Regarding G.M.'s post about the open AD position and whether a hockey
coach can get it I would say that I hope not in this case.  When George Perles
was hired as AD a number of years ago there was an ongoing battle over his
appointment between then President John DiBiaggio and the Board of Trustees
because DiBi didn't feel that Perles should hold both the AD position and be
football coach.  This got very nasty as the BoT held secret meetings, which is
illegal, and nominated him.  The battle went on for a couple of years and
finally DiBi managed to get Perles out of the position, hired Merrily Dean
Baker, and then left for the Presidency of Tufts University.  For the record, I
agreed with DiBiaggio.  I don't feel that one person should hold both positions
and it is, in fact, illegal in some states.  (e.g. North Carolina)
    Given the nasty nature of this battle in the recent past I doubt that Ron
could be named the the AD position without resigning his post as hockey coach.
I don't think that you, I, or any other Spartan wants to see that happen.
(Though I'm sure Red Berenson, Jeff Jackson, et. al. would be delighted)
   The new AD also will likely have been connected with MSU somehow in the
past.  State rarely hires someone who isn't.  There was an awful lot of howling
when Baker was hired because she was an "outsider".  George was a good AD, IMO,
and is no longer football coach.  Can't see Secchia.  He was up for the
Presidency but I can't see him going from Ambassador to Italy to AD.  Who
knows?  I don't.  But given MSU's recent record for job searches, it ought to
be interesting.
               --Steve Moerland
                 MSU '92, UK '95