From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 18:22:52 -0500
Well aren't *I* embarrassed ....

On Wed, 8 Feb 1995, Mike Machnik (and Keith Instone as well :-) wrote:
> Jim Love asks about the power play stats for the UIC-WMU game in which
> UIC played over a third of the game without a goaltender, and why UIC's
> extra man goals weren't counted in the PP stats (likewise WMU's empty
> netters in their shorthanded stats).
>
> The answer is that in determining if a goal is scored on the power play
> or shorthanded, you look ONLY at the total number of players on the ice
> for each team.  It does not matter if one of them is a goaltender or not.

   <groan> followed by sound of face nestling into the cup of my hands ....
Of course I knew this (or should have) - I blame my colossal burst of
ignorance on a first class brain fart .... This is what I get for posting
with only several hours sleep last night :-(  As Rosanne Rosanna Dana
used to say - Never Mind ....

>> .... when UNH scored 4 goals on a single 5-minute major against BU (I
>> was hoping BU wouldn't take any other penalties, so the 'Cats' pp stat
>> line would read something like "PPs - BU 1 for 6; UNH 4 for 1" :-)
>
> Actually, UNH was 4 for 5 during that major alone.  On a major, the
> number of power play opportunities is equal to 1 + the number of goals
> scored on that major.

  But here's some new information that I *wasn't* aware of.  I'd asked
around when this situation occurred, and got many conflicting answers, so
I'm happy to finally have *that* cleared up ....

  So now, if there's less than two outs and 1-2 runners on base, the
Infield Fly Rule ..... :-)

> Oh yes, since I have had people ask before, the time that a goalie is
> pulled on a delayed penalty is NOT considered empty net time.

  But on the rare occasions when a *legal* goal is scored in this
situation, is it charged against the (temporarily) departed goalie ??

  Humbly (and chagrined) from Maryland - Jim

  P.S. Does this mean my charter membership in the CHDA is now revoked ??