From:
"Aiello, Dave" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aiello, Dave
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 17:51:32 U
Thanks for the very spirited conversation that has resulted from my article.
I wasn't the first to mention this issue, and I won't be the last.

Let me  clarify one thing that I said in my original article:

Dave Aiello ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Finally, every game official deserves the courtesy of being referred to by
>his full name, or "Mr." and his last name.  If you, as a fan, cannot take
the
>time to find out an official's first name and include it in your article,
how
>can we be sure that you were paying close attention to the play you are
>questioning?

All that I was suggesting was that we should strive to use the official's
first and last name whenever we first refer to him in an article on HOCKEY-L.
 It seems disrespectful to me when an article repeatedly refers to an
official as "Jones" or "Smith".  I wasn't thinking of this originally, but
it's also pretty confusing.

I hope that the same standard can be used in referring to players, coaches,
officials, and other participants.  Sorry, if my original article came across
as arrogant.

I consider myself an active reader of HOCKEY-L rather than a regular
correspondent.  A lot of you see a great deal more Division 1 College Hockey
than I do.  I want to let you all know that you provide a great service to
those of us who live in markets where Division 1 College Hockey is not
readily available.

Dave Aiello
Consultant
J.P. Morgan & Company, Inc.