From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 17:19:04 -0500
Greetings -

> Trailing 6-0 with 2:48 left in the middle period, UIC head coach Larry
> Pedrie pulled his goaltender and played the entire third period (except
> for 22 seconds when killing a penalty) with six skaters.  The Flames
> outscored the Broncos 4-3 over the final 20 minutes but fell 9-4 in
> Kalamazoo.

  John H. and I have had some off-list discussions in the past about
other times in the CCHA when CCHA coaches have pulled their goal-keepers
for extended periods, and now this recent occurrence has piqued my
curiosity again.  I've been following college hockey for almost 20 years
(and ca. 350 games), yet I haven't personally witnessed a game like this
where the goalie is absent from his net for such extended stretches.
What's it like to WATCH a game like this ??  On the one hand I'd expect
it would be pretty nifty, and yet ....

  What does this do for the confidence of the UIC goalie (Lord, in this
case) ??  The message is: you're *so* bad tonight we can do better with
*no one* in net !!  And backup goalie Spencer played the only 0:22 when
UIC opted to use a goal-keeper in the 3rd period; Lord's confidence is
apt to be so shaken he'll be lucky to get out of the way of his own
shadow :-(  It's one thing for the UIC defense to attempt to keep the WMU
forwards from having a legitimate shot at an open net for the final few
minutes or so, but I can't expect they practice doing so for *20* minutes,
however :-)  At any rate, the Bronco penalty killing unit certainly got
a workout <grin>

  But how will WMU's penalty killing stats reflect this game ??  Did they
surrender 4 PP goals in ca. 17 mins. of UIC powerplay, i.e., UIC is 4
for 9 on 3rd period powerplays ??  And WMU will be credited with 3 short-
handed empty-net goals ??  Are these recorded separately, or just folded
in with the rest of the WMU short-handed stats ??  Of the 13 goals scored
in this game, only 2 were even-strength goals !!  I'm just curious how
the CCHA league office will treat these stats, just as I was a number of
years ago when UNH scored 4 goals on a single 5-minute major against BU
(I was hoping BU wouldn't take any other penalties, so the 'Cats' pp stat
line would read something like "PPs - BU 1 for 6; UNH 4 for 1" :-)

  Was anyone here on the list actually *in attendance* at this game ?? It
sure would be neat to hear a first-hand account ....

> Illinois @ Chicago  0-0-4--4    14-29   2-7
> Western Michigan    2-4-3--9    14-28   3-8

  Given my comments above, these stats confuse me .... How can UIC be
credited for only 2 PP goals ??  In only 7 attempts ??  Is the entire time
they had their goalie pulled considered a single PP attempt ??  At any
rate, all 4 of their goals should be considered PP goals, shouldn't they ??
Where's a stats guru when we need one ??

> Per.    Time    Team    Goal Scorer (Assists)
>     1    3:30   WMU     Gallentine-17 (Duke, Brooks) pp
>     1   16:10   WMU     Gallentine-18 (Duke) 4-4
>     2    2:34   WMU     Innanen-8 (K. Millar) pp
>     2    4:50   WMU     Whitton-8 (Duke, J. Brown) pp
>     2   13:31   WMU     J. Brown-20 (Brooks, Duke)
>     2   17:12   WMU     J. Brown-21 (unassisted)
>     3    0:42   UIC     Blum-4 (Knorr, Wynes) 6-5 with goalie pulled
>                         for an extra skater
>     3    1:01   WMU     J. Brown-22 (Brooks) en
>     3    2:10   UIC     O'Keefe-8 (Zdan, Finn) 6-5 with goalie pulled
>                         for an extra skater
>     3    2:22   WMU     Irving-2 (unassisted) en
>     3   10:47   UIC     Finn-7 (Brenner, McElwee) 6-4 pp with goalie pulled
>                         for an extra skater
>     3   12:53   UIC     O'Keefe-9 (Zdan, Finn) 6-4 pp with goalie pulled
>                         for an extra skater
>     3   17:32   WMU     Gallentine-19 (Innanen) sh/en

> Attendance:  865 (Lawson Ice Arena)

  I'll bet these fortunate few had a good time (and a game to remember) !!

  Cheers from Solomons - Jim