Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1991 13:53:35 -0400
 Information taken from an article in the Minnesota Daily today.
    U.S. Olympic coach Dave Peterson and his staff will cut the roster to 28
 players by August 7th. The team will then travel to the Olympic Arena in
 Meribel, France, to play in the first Golden Puck Tournament. The arena will
 also be host to Olympic competition next winter.

    The tournament will begin an approximate 60-game tour for Team USA.  Before
 they again converge in Meribel, France the Americans will play international
  teams including the U.S.S.R., Sweden, Finland, Czechoslovakia, and several NHL
  teams.  They will play the North Stars on September 28th in Duluth and October
  8th at the Met Center.

    Even though there will be 28 players on the roster, not ALL of them will
 actually make the final cut.  Any player could lose his spot if he doesn't
 live up to the coaches' expectations.  The USA coaching staff has the ability
 to remove and replace skaters throughout the preliminary schedule.

 There has been no mention of what Dave Peterson would do if any pro players
 (eg: LaFontaine) became available after the final camp is over. I would
 hope that Peterson would stick with the original 28, but I guess there is
 no guarantee for anyone.  I'd hate to be in his shoes if this actually does
 take place!

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!