From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 91 18:19:50 EDT
Kevin writes:
>Dan Gravelle and Brendan Locke were taken in the supplemental draft.  One of
>them went to the Flyers, the other I believe went to the Canucks.

Gravelle went to Chicago and Locke went to the Flyers.  I was in Chicago
during the draft and there was a little blurb on the players Chicago picked;
nothing we didn't already know about Gravelle though.  He's a good gamble.
Definitely one of the more underrated players in HE because of where he
plays.  He's grown up a lot since the fall of 89 and has really only played
one year of college hockey, despite the fact that he'll be a junior in
91-92, but he nearly led Merrimack in scoring.  He has that ability to find
the open man that not many players have, and as long as he can balance that
with his great shot and learn when is the right time to pass or shoot, he
will continue to get better.  This could be the breakout season for him.

I believe that more North American college players were taken in this
year's supplemental draft than any other previous draft.  No team passed
on their selection this year in the first round, unlike some previous
years.  This is probably due to the large number of collegians who
contributed to the Cup efforts of Minnesota and Pittsburgh this year.  Teams
realize it is at least worth a gamble to take collegians and see how they
turn out.  They don't even have to sign them, after all.

>The big surprise for me anyway came in the 9th round when the Boston Bruins
>went along blood lines and drafted Ken Hodge Jr.'s brother, defenseman Dan
>Hodge.  Hodge didn't play a lot this year.  That's what made it so surprising.

Right, Hodge had 2-3--5 in about 10 games.  But he has an awful lot of
potential and I expect him to be a key for Merrimack's defense in 91-92.
He did make the team at the start of the year, but a broken hand forced him
to the sidelines for the rest of the season.  I was impressed with him in the
short time he got to play; he is an offensive defenseman and has a great
shot, and it's been a while since Merrimack had a good offensive defenseman.
He needs to work a bit on defense though.  Hodge will be a sophomore this
upcoming season.

At any rate, remember that picks in the late rounds (even the whole draft,
some would say) are complete gambles anyway.  It's worth Boston picking a
guy like Hodge if he develops into a solid defenseman.  If he doesn't,
no one will be upset.

- mike
Mike Machnik             [log in to unmask]    samsung!hubdub!nin15b34
NORTHEASTERN HUSKIES: 1988 Beanpot & Hockey East Champions
MERRIMACK WARRIORS: 1993 Hockey East Champions
NCAA Hockey -> Fire on Ice!  See you at the 1992 Final Four in Albany, NY!
Go Huntsville Stars (Southern League AA baseball, Oakland A's affiliate)