From:
Tom Buskey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Buskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 1994 16:45:41 -0500
I've though the reason is money too, but not TV $$$.  You're an owner &
you just signed a 3 year contract for $$$$$$$ w/ the next Gretzky.  In
his 1st game, he gets taken out in a fight by some goon.  His knee is
ruined & he can't skate anymore.  You still own him for 3 years.

Or as a player, there's some clause about goon injury exclusion.  They
injure you & you're out of the contract.

Either way, someone is out lots of $$ because of goons that the NHL
didn't crack down on.  Now that there's serious money in hockey, the
fighting will go away because it has more impact on the bottom line.

-----
Tom Buskey      [log in to unmask]     508-858-1389