From:
James Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 91 19:35:03 EDT
     Since we've stooped to the origin of the UNH Fish [see previous post]
to "drum up list support in the off-season" as Mike Machnik puts it, I'd
like to propose a discussion of a more substantive nature.  Shortly after
the news broke about the NCAA investication of the Lowell hockey program
[and more specifically of Coach W. Riley], I posted the following quick
note to Mike:

>> There was a short interview with him [Riley] in which he stated, "I don't
>> believe the findings to be accurate.  All I have ever done is 'do' for
>> people.  The NCAA ought to re-evaluate its own rules, because it's a fact
>> you can do more for a student than you can do for an athlete."

>     There is, however, a germ of truth in this.  Does this mean that the
>annual bar-be-que that the Friends of UNH Hockey put on for the players,
>coaching staff, and fans is ILLEGAL because it's a "perk" that's not
>available to the student body at large ??  If prospects watch a game in
>Snively, do they have to buy their own ticket ??  If so, if the game is
>sold out but the ticket office holds some tickets "in reserve" for them to
>purchase, couldn't this also be considered a unfair "perk" ??  As you may
>have surmised, I'm woefully ignorant of what is/is not permitted under
>NCAA rules as regards recruiting/treatment of players.  This is a topic
>I'd like to see discussed on HOCKEY-L once the tournament is over, as I
>expect other readers are also in the dark and it affects EVERYONE ....

      I've certainly not become an expert on NCAA recruiting rules in the
intervening several months, so I'd like to learn.  Incidentally, the
question regarding the UNH bar-be-que was prompted by one of the allegations
made against Riley, that he'd taken a potential recruit and his parents
sailing on his sailboat and this was considered a "benefit not available
to the student body at large."  Under such a broad definition, I'd think most
everything involved in the recruiting process would be in violation.  I've
become more sensitized to this issue since moving to Maryland, as I watched
the NCAA drop the hammer on the University of Maryland B-Ball program for
trivial "violations" such as giving a recruit a Maryland T-shirt.  Don't
get me wrong, I'm all in favor of a strong NCAA enforcement program and could
probably even be convinced that toleration of t-shirt give-aways could quickly
escalate into more serious "perks," but how is the average recruit/fan to know
where to draw the line.  On whom does the responsibility rest ??  When I was
an undergrad at UNH, potential recruits would sometimes stay overnight in the
dorm with current team members.  Did I break the rules every time I bought a
(legal) beer for one of these guys ??  As fans we all often fraternize with
recruits and players - are we at risk of jeopardizing eligibility and/or
scholarship support for these guys for nothing more than we'd do for any of
our non hockey-playing friends ??  How distant must alumni keep from the
players ??  To what extent can they "steer" recruits into considering a
particular school ??  Comments from those in the know would be most
appreciated .....

Jim Love
UNH '79, '85G