From:
Ronald Correia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 1994 10:40:28 -0500
Reprinted from the Providence Journal (without permission):

Friars tied with 6 seconds left, beat Wildcats on 3-1 shootout edge

Manchester, NH -- After surrendering the game-tying goal with just six
seconds left, the Providence College Friars took a 3-1 shootout win over the
UNH Wildcats in a HE matchup before a sellout crowd of 2600 at JFK Coliseum.
   PC's Joe Hulbig scored what looked to be the winning goal, giving the
Friars a 5-4 lead at 16:56 of the third period.
   The goal, his second of the game and sixth of the season, came when Hulbig
picked up a rebound on a shot by George Breen, settled the bouncing puck, and
beat UNH goalie Mike Heinke.
   But Wildcat forward Mark Royal tipped a shot past Friar netminder Dan
Dennis to even the score at 5-5, just before what would have been the final
buzzer.
   Said PC head coach Paul Pooley, "We were disappointed to see that goal go
in.  We thought we had done what we needed to do.  But they got the goal, and
you have to give them credit."
   Dennis, who was outstanding in facing 43 shots, was screened and had no
chance on the play.
   The teams were deadlocked at 1-1 after one period.
   Mike Sullivan gave the Wildcats the lead with a power play goal at 3:35.
   Standing even with the net, he attempted a centering pass, which bounced
off Friars defensemen Hal Gill, and went past Dennis.
   PC tied it up at 5:52, on George Breen's third goal of the season,
assisted by Jon Rowe and Chad Quenneville.
   The Friars came out aggressively in the second period, and their hard work
gave them a 3-1 lead.  Hulbig, standing in front of the net, swatted in a
chest-high centering pass from Breen at 2:21.  Then at 12:43 Chad Quenneville
stole the puck from Wildcat defenseman Todd Hall, then scored on the
breakaway.
   But late in the period, UNH, on goals by Mark Mowers and Ted Russell tied
it up again.
   Quenneville scored his second of the game at 3:47 of the third to put the
Friars in front again, briefly.  But then PC took two quick minor penalties,
on on the ensuing 5 on 3 advantage, Eric Flinton tied it up 4-4.
   Brady Kramer, Hulbig, and Jon LaVerre scored in the shootout for PC, while
Royal got the only UNH goal.

Providence Journal article by Dan Hickling: 12/2/94.

Note:  Due to a scheduling conflict this evening, I will not be at the
Providence College vs UNH game at Schneider Arena.  As a result, I won't be
sending out a box score after the game.  The athletic department scheduled
the PC/UNH hockey game at the same time as the PC/URI basketball game!
 PC/URI is a HUGE rivalry!  To miss that game could have me tar-and-feathered
<g>.  In my own defense, however, this will be the first PC home hockey game
that I have missed since 1976!!!

-- Ron