From:
Ronald Correia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 23:05:01 -0500
Part of the problem with picking the "Official of the Week" or commending
those that call good games is that everyone prefers a different style of ref.
 Quite often I've seen posts from people who's opinions I greatly respect
commending refs like Frank Cole.  Yet, Cole's style is one that I can't stand
in an official so to me he's not a good ref.  I recognize that it's a matter
of style, though.  I prefer the Steve McBride or John Gravellese style of "no
autopsy; no foul".  Yet, these are officials that others on the list can't
stand.  It's for this reason that I've typically refrained from commenting on
the officiating in my posts.  (I don't want to start a debate over these
officials, I just use them because they typify a style that many will
recognize.)
   Like it or not, officials are part of the game and it's the players'
responsibility to adapt to the game conditions.  That's true in all sports.
 True, there will be times when a call or no-call will effect the outcome of
the game, but I think those times are rare.  Over the course of 60 minutes,
the players have had ample opportunity to effect the outcome, and that's as
it should be.  I'd prefer that we concentrate on what the players contributed
to the play and for the most part leave the officiating out of the
discussion.

-- Ron