From:
Robert Zielinski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Zielinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 1994 06:50:12 -0800
>Asif
>
>Let's Go SIOUX!!
>
>P.S.  As far as the "pelting" of players after the game, there is a
>explanation for that.  For the longest time that I can remember, Sioux
>fans litter the ice after each home game with cups, etc.  It is sort of
>a tradition (even I think its kind of a dumb tradition).  I never took
>part in the dumb activity, but its just a tradition at Sioux games.
>Thus, the fans were in no way throwing stuff at the players (of either
>team).

You're right, it is a dumb tradition.  Not only is it a bad thing for
the ice itself, but if a player were to step on a cup not knowing it was
there, even if he was just skating off the ice, could do some pretty
serious damage to himself.  North Dakota seems to have a habit of doing
some pretty dumb things like this and lucky for the rest of the WCHA, it
appears that St. Cloud St. has started to emulate their neighbors to the
north.  Hopefully people will think twice about throwing something on
the ice before a player is injured.