From:
"D. L. Sullivan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D. L. Sullivan
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 12:07:02 -0600
Here is the article which appeared in the Polytechnic:
 (I forget the date of the paper)

RPI hockey team to stay in ECAC

        On July 22, 1994, RPI President R. Byron Pipes announced that
Rensselaer's hockey program will retain its membership in the ECAC
Division I Hockey League.  After a five-month study, a committee of
trustees, faculty and students decided that the ECAC offers the correct
combination of ingredients needed to advance RPI's only Division I
sport.  "Central to our decision is the ECAC's commitment to the
student-athlete as the focus of success both on and off the ice,"
commented President Pipes. "Rensselaer sets high standards for admission,
conduct and graduation of our scholar-athletes, including hockey players.
Our colleagues in the ECAC share this philosophy of sport and many have
similarly high academic standards."  Also noted in the announcement was
that the ECAC hockey league includes many of Rensselaer's most cherished
hockey rivalries, including those with Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Harvard,
Brown, Cornell and Princeton.  Another factor in the decision is the
recent commitment by the ECAC to strengthen and promote the league. The
members have agreed to expand the permissible number of games from 30 to
32, two games less than the NCAA-permitted maximum of 34. This will allow
the chance for RPI to have a comparable schedule to teams in other
leagues, such as the CCHA. This may also strengthen their chances of
being selected for the post-season NCAA tournament. In addition, a TV
deal has been initiated to bring ECAC games to upstate New York and New
England.  In reference to the decision, Pipes also noted that it was made
after a careful study of both the ECAC and Hockey East. "We have always
been impressed by the Hockey East." noted Pipes. "It is an aggressive
league which has been innovative in its effort. We appreciate its
interest in Rensselaer and, with strong rivalries in both leagues, we
expect to continue our policy of playing a number of Hockey East teams
each season."  In conclusion President Pipes thanked the many fans, alums
and community members who have given advice during the study. He also
thanked former hockey coach Buddy Powers and Athletic Director Bob
Ducatte, both of whom worked with the committee during the study. He also
noted, "This was not an easy choice. Both leagues offer important
opportunities and both were most gracious to us as we explored the
possibilities."