From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 91 12:15:38 EDT
    In 1987, Mount St Charles defeated Bishop Hendricken in the *fifth*
    game to win their *best-of-three* series for the Rhode Island state
    championship.

    !

    You see, the teams split the first two games, then the third game was
    tied for a number of overtimes and rules called for a new game to be
    played the next day, rather then continuing the overtimes.  Well, *that*
    game was also tied and the teams played several overtimes before the game
    was stopped again.  Mount finally won Game 5 to win the series and
    continue their string of RI state titles, which was up to 11 in 1990;
    I don't know if they won again this season.  They've sent a number of
    players to the NHL and to college.

    Considering the teams played at least two games' worth in each of games 3
    and 4, from what I recall, and that in effect it took 5 games worth of
    hockey to decide game 3, I'd say the 1987 RI Championship ranks right up
    there among long long games.  There's also this from the list archives:

>        From:  mike_m
>        Date:  Wednesday, January 3, 1990   4:03:43 pm (EST)
>     Subject:  Hockey East notes, 1/3/90
>          To:  college_hockey:

..

>      Finally, after all the squawking I did about the triple overtime
>      between PC and UNH, we have this from the Boston Globe:
>
>          Medford and South Boston were declared cochampions in the
>          Mite B division of the K of C Christmas tournament in Quincy
>          after playing to a 3-3 tie.  The teams played 10 overtimes
>          but couldn't break the deadlock...
>
>      THAT'S where we should have been.

    - mike