Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 91 08:59:00 EDT
    Carol, Erik, John, and other HOCKEY-L subscribers have provided
their "technical" reports and other information about the 1991
Championship in St. Paul.  As a pseudo-layperson from the South
(where Ice Hockey is virtually unknown), I don't feel qualified to
provide a "technical" review ... so, I'm only go to provide a few
comments about the "sights and sounds."

* Great Hosts!
  A BIG thanks to Carol, Erik & Paula, Kathy and all of the
"Twin Cities' Locals" for their hospitality.  I was looking
for more snow though ...

* The Championship Series
  I rarely have the opportunity to see collegiate hockey.  I've
been to several US Olympic Festivals and last year's Goodwill
Games.  The greater synergy among the lines, achieved through many
weeks/months of playing time, was evident during the NCAA's. I liked
the overtime, as opposed to the Goodwill Games where penalty shots
decided the outcome.
  The "clear" boards were different.  I liked them on the near-side,
but found them sometimes distracting on the far-side.

* Civic Center Personnel
  At times the St. Paul Civic Center Personnel (Sims Security ?) did
exhibit great zeal in asserting their authority.  The level of sanctions
often seemed to be determined by the local "gendarme" in your area.
(My section was right behind the "TV Timeout Lady (with her bright pink
T-Shirt/Flag)"). NMU fans in my area were told to not display any signs.
In fact, some had apparently been required to "tear" their posters prior
to entering the arena.  When viewing BU fans and their posters, NMU fans
queried the Security personnel.  The Security people had a fixation on
signage --- they inquired about my intentions with a "just purchased" NCAA
promotional poster.
 With regards to the Clarkson Knight and the "boards," I heard some
comments that the potential existed for fracturing the ice.  The
observation was based upon the height at which he was making contact
with the boards/plexiglass.

* Great Seats, but Cheese Throwers in the Neighborhood ...
  I had wonderful seats at Center Ice on Row F in Section 140.  However,
I soon discovered that there were "Cheese Throwers" right in front of me!
  They were real nice guys.  I learned a few pointers.  Did you know that
Kraft Singles (wrapped) have great aerodynamics?  There was an unconfirmed
report that cheese had been "Zamboni-ed" into the ice (WCHA tourney).
  According to the "Cheese Throwers," protocol for making Wisconsin fans
feel at home (at an "Away" venue) requires placing small quantities of
cheese in their seats.  If budget permits the practice can be extended
beyond the area where you sit.  Since Wisconsin wasn't playing, I didn't
get to see them practice their Kraft.

* Most interesting Soiree
  NCAA Championship Reception.  Thanks to Carol White with her VIP
connections, we attended the pre-Championship reception.  Thanks Carol!

* Best Band
  Clarkson gets my vote as the best band.  Go Knights!  I overheard
someone comment, "Those Clarkson tuba players are the best that have
played during the entire tournament."
  Kudos to Bob and Ted for their guest rendition of "The Flintstones"
theme during the NMU-BU game on Saturday.

* Best Mascot
  Clarkson with the Golden Knight even though events caused him to
"retire" early.

* Best Souvenirs collected
  A Dave Shyiak (NMU) stick and blade fragments from two others.
The items are new additions to the collection of bric-a-brac in
my office.  The blade fragments make great paperweights.  The only
problem is that visitors keep playing with all my new additions.

* Most Confusing Item
  Thinking red/white overall clad fans were from BU ... but Carol
Erik, and Louie corrected me

* Best Dressed
  Erik and Paula with their "Gopher Hats" ... especially Paula with
the beret. (Carol, where was your "Gopher" hat?)  Louie could have been
in the running, if he had been sporting a "Cheesehead Wedge" hat with
matching tie and T-Shirt --- combined with the overalls and "cheese wedge"
beverage holder.  Carol had the best collection of pins.

* Speaking of Wisconsin ...
  There must be Wisconsonites everywhere ...  A Minneapolis-based
salesman (Wisconsin undergraduate) was on my flights back to South
Carolina.  He briefed me on correct forms of Cheese Attire and
the "Bud Song."

* Comical Episode
  Kathy's concern that I might not be able to identify the Domino's
delivery person when he arrived in the Radisson Lobby.  I assured her
that the South had recovered from "Sherman's March to the Sea."

* Lost opportunity
  Not moving fast enough on the "NCAA Championship" hats. Demand
was greater than supply for those.  I had my sights set on a
Clarkson hat (Clarkson/Clemson ... lots of common syllables).

  I've rambled enough in this post, but with no hockey news to report
from my territory --- subscribers don't have to put up with me too
often.  Maybe I could go on sabbatical ... are there any Hockey-L
sites that could use an IDMS DBA or a NOTIS Level II Technical Support
person ...  I know that "Gopher" territory uses NOTIS to manage its
on-line card catalogue ... but Minnesota culture/climate is different
from my area.  I'm still trying to understand the importance of "plug-in"
parking and our weather prognosticators describe "frigidly cold" as being
wind-chill factors of +20F

   Until '92 in Albany!
   James Bradshaw
   Clemson University

P.S. Or maybe after reviewing all of the schedules posted to Hockey-L ...
     I'll schedule a "road trip" for someplace during during the regular
     season!  Carol and Erik did mention some type of cheese association
     meetings with the acronym WCHA ...