From:
Graeme Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graeme Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 14:39:25 -0400
Arthur Mintz commented:-

   Here we go again. Instruct the officials to crack down on
   interference,
   then complain when they do. It happens every year.

in relation to:-

        > 2)  What the hell is it with the interference calls?  There
        > must have been at least 7 or 8 during Saturday's game.  While
        > some were justified, there were a few (on both sides) that
        were
        > VERRRRRY iffy.  I mean, I'm all for calling a tight game if
        it's
        > justified, but SHEEEESH.  19 power play situations?

I've just come back from the local ECAC (actually NCAA) refs/coaches
clinic in Geneseo (held last Sunday morning).  It was the last of the
series they hold each year, and is supposed to tell the refs what's
wanted for the coming year.  There was PHENOMENAL emphasis on calling
interference penalties, both near and away from the play.  The guys
at the front spent more than 20 minutes hammering the point, and also
played about 10 minutes or so of tape-recorded discussion from the
coaches session at the NCAA Florida convention.  The upshot of which
was that the coaches said emphatically they wanted interference called
until it was out of the game.  A number of refs did comment that if
they really called it that way, then fans would go berserk, and were
reassured (at least the words were spoken) that the coaches would
support them, and that the NCAA had prepared a media package to explain
what was going to happen so that the fans would understand.  There was,
however, not that much certainty amongst the refs that they would
actually be supported beyond the first couple of weeks.  The organizers
did say that if the first few games had to take 3 or 3 1/2 hours in
order to make the point, then that's what would have to happen.  In the
end, I think it's Arthur's comment which is most appropriate: don't ask
for it if you don't want it, and don't complain if you get it!!!!!!!
:):)

Graeme