From:
James Endress <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Endress <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 1994 15:37:08 -0400
On Tue, 27 Sep 1994, Brian Morris wrote:

> The NY Islanders have re-assigned 1994 Hobey Baker winner Chris Marinucci (UMD)
> to their Denver IHL affiliate.  He joins a parade of former Hobey Baker winners
> who currently labor in the minor leagues, including a pair of former winners
> Dave Emma (Harvard) and Scott Pellerin (Maine) who look to return to the
> Albany River Rats this year.  In fact I can't name any recent Hobey winners,
> with the exception of millionaire Paul Kariya, who have made it to the Big
> League.
>
> Does anyone know what other Hobey winners, if any, since 1985 currently are
> playing in the NHL?
>                     _
>             "NYS   // Hockey"
>         Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris
>           Go RPI //      Albany, NY
>          (______/

HI,
I think this is because a lot of the  time the Baker award winner is not
the best college player.

1. If two great Western players are are for it and one very good Eastern
player then the eastern player will win because the western votes are split.

2.  Because of limited national exposure, I don't really know whether the
certain players in the West are better than the ones in the East.

Because of this, I don't believe the award is that objective in college.
Hence, the best player is not awarded on a consistent basis.

Thanks,
James