From:
Mike Zak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 91 10:31:24 EST
The result of the second semi-final game was an impressive 7-3 win
for BU over Clarkson.

The Clarkson fans were only able to cheer for their team in the first
minute of the game.  Mike Casselman deflected a shot from the point
past BU goalie Cashman with a half of a minute played in the game.
That was the most excitement the Golden Knights would generate, as
BU came back and scored 5 goals in the period.  Amonte had a hat trick,
goals 1,2 and 5.  His second goal was a very pretty short-handed goal.
He broke out of the BU zone down the left wing on a 2-on-1.  As he came
in, Clarkson goalie Rogles came off the goal post, hoping to intercept
a crossing pass (I guess).  Amonte stick handled to the side of Rogles,
and brought the puck back in and stuffed it into the net.  At that
point, Amonte was a good 3 feet behind the goal line.

Clarkson couldn't really do anything to the speedy BU team.  Clarkson's
lack of speed on defense really showed up as BU made smooth and quick
transitions from defense to offense.  Clarkson with 1 Sr., 3 Soph. and
2 Fr. defenseman, had their inexperience exploited by BU.

BU's back-checking also prevented Clarkson's forwards from being able
to do anything.  BU was able to shut down the big scoring duo of
Trombley and Belanger (Trombley had a great 1-on-2 chance in the first
period that was stopped by Cashman).  That was something that neither
Wisconsin nor LSSU could do.

The whole team did look flat and weren't skating to well.  I don'tknow
if they were tired and bruised or not.  Clarkson did have three games
last weekend and two the previous one when the other Final 4 teams were
idle.  But by the end of the season, the guys should be in such good
physical shape that they should be able to recover physically in 3 days.
I don't know if they were emotionally recovered though.
You have to hand it to BU, they played a game.  They'll need another one
to be able to beat NMU.

About the officiating:  They could have gotten away with two linesmen
to call the icing, off-sides and to drop the puck.  That's all that was
needed, besides determining goal scorers.  When Clarkson travelled to
BU and BC in Jan., the games went the same way with not many penalties
being called at all.  This worked to BU's advantage since they did have
to face Clarkson's pp.  The potential of that pp was shown during their
pp chance at the end of the game, some very good puck control and movement.

Sat. night's final should be a real good one.  I'm going to pick NMU,
but don't ask me why.

Mike Zak
Clarkson '87, '90,...