From:
Shari Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 91 09:13:46 2359
OK folks, here's my unsolicited thoughts on last night's
semi-final games:

Game 1
NMU   5
Maine 3

This was a great game, and probably should have been the
championship game. Both teams skated well, had pretty passing
plays, hard-fought goals etc.... Maine's Roy was undoubtably
the best player on the ice. I wouldn't be surprised to see
him get the Hobey Baker award (to be given out after Saturday
night's game). Both teams had a good contingent of home-town
fans, though NMU seemed to have the support of the Minnesotans
at the game (cheering for our conference!). NMU brought their
band, while Maine recruited a local high school band to play
for their fans.

Game 2
Boston U  7
Clarkson  3

P.U.!! What a boring game! Clarkson's goalie was swiss cheese
in the first period giving up some very sieve-like goals.
Watching them play, it was hard for me to believe they beat
Wisconsin twice, let alone LSSU! Rogles was pulled after BU's
5th goal, but came in to start the 2nd, and played much better
after that. Neither of these teams impressed me greatly, and
if BU doesn't play better, NMU will eat them alive (Cats over
Dogs?!!).Mind you, this is my opinion only, and I am biased
towards Northern with their WCHA connection! BU seemed to have
more fans at the game, and both schools brought their bands.
Neither of the bands was too 'courteous' to the other, as there
were many times when both were blasting away at the same time!
I was at the BU end, so I couldn't hear the Clarkson band too well.

Total attendance for the two sessions was just under 23,000 (more
than I expected!) Saturday's game will probably bring in about
the same 11,000. There will be big competition with the NCAA basketball
on the tube, and the No-Stars in town as well for their last regular
season game.

Sorry that we didn't make it to the Radisson party. We decided to
take off after BU's 7th goal. Here's hoping for a good, close game
for the championship!

go gophers,
shari