From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 1994 12:42:29 EDT
>6-35-c        Referee may stop play along boards to eliminate unnecessary
>              contact around the puck:  A minor penalty shall be imposed on an
>              player, including the goalkeeper, who holds, freezes or plays th
>              puck with the stick, skates or body along the boards in such a
>              manner as to cause a stoppage of play.  There will not be a
>              whistle for any reason for a stalled puck along the boards unles
>              a player unintentionally falls on the puck.  However, the refere
>              may stop play along the boards if allowing play to continue lead
>              to unnecessary contact surrounding the puck.

Also, does this mean that it's OK for the ref to lose sight of the puck, as
long as a stoppage of play doesn't occur?  I've never really understood this
rule.

And never really liked it.  It seems that letting the players "play on"
sometimes delays the action more than simply blowing the whistle and setting
up a face-off.  I also wince at the shots the defenseless cornerman takes as
he tries to move out the puck.  It certainly provides additional opportunities
to get-in a couple of shots without the fear that a penalty will be called,
since it is seldom that such contact is deemed "unnecessary".
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris
          Go RPI //      Albany, NY