From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 1994 08:41:54 EDT
>Anyways, according to the article, the motivation is $$ (Surprise,
>surprise!)  Channel 68, a much smaller station with a smaller viewing
>area, is supposedly offering more money per school for the chance to
>broadcast the game.  I cannot remember the numbers (of dollars) begin
>discussed, but I thought the increase was relatively small.

If whoever gets the $$$ for the Beanpot telecast (member schools, the Gahden?)
think they can hold up Channel 38 for more $$$--well let's hope they have
several refills left on their Prozac prescription.  I doubt that 38 is that
deeply wedded to telecasting the event.  It's based more on tradition, and a
kind of service to loyal hockey fans, than on monster ratings.  I doubt that
the Beanpot telecast could even beat Star Trek re-runs in the local Nielsens.

But for college hockey fans, especially those in markets outside Massachusetts,
the move represents an unmitigated disaster.  Here in the "collegiate hockey
media center" the Beanpot is the ONLY game televised live each year (outside
the playoffs.)  In fact except for the 3:30 am PRIME re-broadcasts, it's the
only college hockey game available during the regular season.  Certainly for
the Capital District hockey core, the Beanpot is a virtual "must see".  In
fact my wife always asks what day is the Beanpot final in February when
planning he February calendar, since she knows that night is sancrosanct.

And to echo Mike's fears: you want to listen to someone do the game other than
McDonough and Norton?

It's such a bad idea that I'm convinced it will probably happen.  It makes as
much sense as RPI sending its games out to a cable network (Empire or NESN)
that no one in the Capital District receives.  Maybe that's why RPI raised
the price on Engineer season tickets to (gulp) $131!  (Pre-season rantings of
a frustrated fan.)
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris