From:
Steve Weisfeldt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 1994 16:45:46 EDT
According to an article I saw over the weekend, the AD's of the four
Beanpot schools are considering moving their TV coverage to another
network.  I do not know the details of the current pact, but currently the
Beanpot semifinals are carried on NESN with the championship game on
TV-38, WSBK out of Boston.  WSBK is the non-cable home of the Bruins and
Red SOX, has a large viewing area and is also a semi-superstation.  (I'd
be curious to know if how many of you non-New Englanders get a chance to
watch it.  I know I was psyched this past spring when I was in Calgary on
business and got to see my home-town station)

Anyways, according to the article, the motivation is $$ (Surprise,
surprise!)  Channel 68, a much smaller station with a smaller viewing
area, is supposedly offering more money per school for the chance to
broadcast the game.  I cannot remember the numbers (of dollars) begin
discussed, but I thought the increase was relatively small.

I was wondering if perhaps any Hockey-Lers who were in some way affiliated
with any of the four schools (BC, BU, Harvard, NU) could let their AD's
and schools that all parties involved would be best suited by keeping the
game TV-38.  Certainly better exposure would benefit both the schools and
teams involved more that just a few extra dollars, no?

Also, if anyone could enlighten me/us with more details surrounding this,
could you let me/us know?

Steve Weisfeldt                                   Go River Hawks!!!!!!!!
Univ. of Lowell (now UMASS-Lowell)  1986, 1988
[log in to unmask]                          Is it October yet??????