From:
Steve Weisfeldt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 1994 16:28:28 EDT
From:         Dave Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      NC$$, HE, and shootouts
To:           Multiple recipients of list HOCKEY-L

If the NC$$ considers shootouts to be ties regardless of the outcome, then
what's the point?

[snip]

I don't like the idea of shootouts to begin with, and this just takes what
might be construed as exciting and renders it virtually meaningless.

Dave / RPI '91
LET'S GO RED!!

Sort of along the lines of what Dave's saying, the biggest problem I have
here is the fact that only HE is doing this.  As you all probably know,
I'm in no means a shootout fan, but if this rule change was implemented
"across-the-board" then I'd be willing to give it a season or two to see
if I'd like it.

Just like "Hockey Half-time" and the 1 ref/2 ref situations, I just don't
like the idea of having different conferences on different pages.  It
could be argued that this situation isn't as bad since a shoot-out is just
a glorified tie.  But I wonder if the outcome of a HE game this year may
be different than it would be if there weren't any shootouts.  I.e.  Will
a team play different towards the end of regulation or in OT if it knows a
shoot-out is coming then if there wasn't a shootout?  If this is so than
the shootout is a bad thing.

Steve Weisfeldt                                   Go River Hawks!!!!!!!!
Univ. of Lowell (now UMASS-Lowell)  1986, 1988
[log in to unmask]                          Is it October yet??????