From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 1994 13:37:08 CDT
Mike writes:
> * The first two weekends in January are when teams will play each of
> the two opponents who they face only twice this season.  Here is the

that's good news.  It didn't make much sense that the only games between the
WCHA's top 2 teams this year (Minn and CC) were in October.

> listing of the 2-time opponents.  All are two game sets.
>
> Alaska-Anchorage     Minnesota (H), Wisconsin (H)

Let me be the first to predict that this will hurt UAA's "strength of schedule"
component of their RPICH (and other) ratings.  (Why wait 'til next spring to
fret about it!  :-) )  I find it a little surprising that the schedule would be
set up so that any team avoids full series with the two most consistently strong
teams in the league the same year.  If UAA were to win that gorgeous trophy**
after playing a schedule like that, expect considerable griping!

> Minnesota            Alaska-Anchorage (A), Northern Michigan (A)
>
> But UAA is listed as hosting BOTH two game sets, while Minnesota is
> playing away in both of theirs.  UAA has 18 WCHA home games and 14
> WCHA away games, while Minnesota has to play 18 of 32 WCHA games on
> the road.  Yikes.  BTW, this is the same as was on the Minnesota

Yikes is right!!!!

** Speaking - er, writing of the MacNaughton Cup:  does CC have a place to
display it now that they're arena-less?  I imagine they'll have to display it
somewhere on campus.  (Of course, if they want to lend it to the second-place
team, we wouldn't mind...  :-) We've got a place for it, right next to that
Broadmoor Trophy...)

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]      1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
                                  1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour!!!
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!