From:
Christopher Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 1994 08:43:02 PDT
>I don't know about the last year or two, but according to the ACHA,
>Syracuse University had a club team in the Eastern Collegiate Hockey
>Association in 1991-92 that went 4-8-2.  Other teams in this
>conference were Rochester (NY), Gannon, Ithaca, SUNY-Cortland,
>Niagara, SUNY-Albany, and Lemoyne.

SU dropped out of the Eastern Collegiate Hockey  *League* before the 1993-94
season. (There's also an Eastern Collegiate Hockey *Association* -Navy,
Maryland, Deleware, etc. Not to be confused with the East Coast Hockey League
or the Eastern College Athletic Conference. Confused yet?)

They are still listed in the College Hockey Guide as having a club
team, but they aren't affiliated with the ACHA anymore. As far
as hockey goes, that's moving in the wrong direction.

As Mike said, Syracuse in general doesn't seem to be a hockey town.
They've had minor league teams in the past, but have lost them due
to poor attendence. The turnout at the SITs that I went to in the
mid 80's when RIT played there was pretty good, but then again,
it was usually Colgate, Cornell, Clarkson, RIT etc. in the tournament,
so you would expect a lot of out-of town fans.

Chris Lerch
EDS
RIT '84 & '91