From:
Christopher Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 1994 05:48:21 PDT
>No, but Kent was really a team that was just starting to break into
>DivI, not easing back into it.

Interesting. I remember that their coach was very upset to come
to a D-III tournament and wind up playing the host team in the first
round, as he thought that slot was reserved for the "patsy" team.
His quote was basically "Hey, we're D-I, we're coming to your
little barn, we're the headliners." If I remember correctly, Elmira
was the 4th team and Brock was playing a fair number of D-I
teams at the time, so there really wasn't a "patsy" team.

That comment sure turned a lot of people here into Brock fans for the consolation game :)

> 94-95 may be one of the better seasons for DivI-III matchups.

Great for the D-III teams. But as Debbie pointed out, the D-I
teams often have "nothing to gain and everything to lose".  It's a tough
call - as a D-III fan, I find myself pulling for the underdog in those
situations, but I think that the more successful the D-III teams
become, the less useful they become to their D-I opponents, who,
as you said, are looking for confidence builders.

Chris Lerch
EDS
RIT '84 & '91