From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 1994 08:35:47 EDT
The T-U's Bob Croce, apparently seeking revenge for being scooped by the Troy
Record on the hiring of Dan Fridgen, reports that RPI will announce today that
it is staying in the ECAC.  According to Croce, president R. Byron Pipes will
announce the decision this morning at a scheduled press conference.  ECAC
executive director Joe Bertagna and ECAC Commissioner Clayton Chapman will
attend today's 9:00 am press conference.

Croce also indicates the ECAC today may indicate whether it is leaning toward
awarding the 1996 and 1997 ECAC championships to Albany's Knickerbocker Arena.

Croce quotes Bertagna: "It's a good feeling at the end of a process that was
sometimes uncomfortable, because I think the issue being raised was whether we
were doing the right things.  And we're satisfied that we are doing the right
thing when it comes to our academic policies."

Interestingly, Bertagna also comments on the much-discussed academic index.
Bertagna insists that it's up to each school to set its academic index, and up
to RPI to lower it's index (huh?).

Some quick comments.  This was consistent with my prediction when Fridgen was
announced as the head coach.  Since he hails from Canada, Fridgen does not
have the Massachusetts contacts that Powers had, so essential to compete in
Hockey East.  In fact, I think the decision to stay in the ECAC was made
simultaneously with the decision not to recruit outside for a new coach.
Fridgen is however considered a good recruiter, so hopefully the Canadian
pipeline, which has produced such players as Adam Oates and Joe Juneau, will
continue for the Engineers.

I think the decision came down to two factors: 1)the administration wasn't
willing to completely junk the academic index; 2) fears that RPI would be
unable to compete, especially with Buddy Powers having departed (thanks
Jon for your opinion).  One additional influence may have been RPI's reticence
to become the only New York team in HE.  I would think the thought of leaving
traditional opponents like Clarkson, SLU and Colgate must have had an effect
on the decision.  I would also guess that the ECAC threw a carrot toward the
Engineers (perhaps the tv contract reported earlier) as a rationale for RPI
electing to stay put.  I don't think RPI was willing to take the heat for
severely disrupting a league it had been a part of for so many years.

It is interesting to note how much erroneous information has floated around
regarding the two big announcements.  I am not sure how RPI runs its hockey
program, but I do think they keep their cards close to their chest.
Engineer fans can only hope the adminstration has chosen the right track for
the program.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris