From:
Steve Moerland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Moerland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 1994 15:40:56 EDT
   I, of course, am the sole defender on this list of shootouts in hockey.
While I agree that there is nothing as exciting as a sudden-death ot, the long
games that would result are not realistic for regular-season games.  I only
support the SO for these games, NOT the playoffs.  My reason for supporting
them is that they would eliminate the absurdity that is a tie.  I hate ties,
for many reasons already elaborated upon a couple of months ago.  Noone has
ever suggested that playoff games be settled this way.
   As for soccer, I hate them.  Part of this is because I've dabbled in goal
in soccer and for those of you who have never seen one close up, the goals are
HUGE!!   I, admittedly, had a fair measure of success vs. penalty kicks,
actually saving a couple, but the players I played against were as awful
(well, almost) as I was.  Many just missed.  At the World Cup level they don't
miss very often.  Mike hit the nail on the head when he pointed out that there
was much more skill involved on both sides in hockey.  I think that it works
reasonably well in hockey (no, I did not want the gold medal decided on it) and
would provide a good method of resolving those ridiculous regular season ties.
I would love to see HE give it a chance for a couple of years.  If it adversely
affects the game then scrap it and I'll bow down before the God of Draws and
confess the error of my ways.  If it works and everyone,except the purists who
think the game should still be played outdoors, loves it then I promise not to
gloat too much.  Just give it a shot.  What is there to fear?
   I'm done now.  Just had to play devil's advocate, there was too much anti-
shootout sentiment out there and no dissenting opinions.
                                                 --Steve Moerland
                                                   MSU '92, UK '95