Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 1994 12:28:01 -0500
In my personal opinion regarding this discussion of shootouts and
overtimes, there is nothing more exciting than watching a sudden
death overtime.  This past NCAA semifinals with the Minnesota Gophers
and Lowell was a prime example: the game took two overtimes to complete,
and the game kept me and all my friends on the edge of our seats for
over four hours.  Had this game gone to a shootout, I don't think it
would have been won fairly.  In a shootout you're not operating as a
team, but as an individualy shooter and goalie, and it's unfair to
put that pressure on one indivdual from each team.  Many of the recent
NCAA final four championship hockey games have been decided in overtimes,
and though it is heartbreaking to the loser, it can be consoling to know
that as a team they worked their hardest.  No single person can be
to "blame" for the loss.  Going to a shootout format is not something
that should ever happen to college hockey.

Katie
Go Gophers!