From:
Jen Bortz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jen Bortz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 1994 07:57:54 -0400
Even though Penn State has had one of the most successful Club programs in
the last several years, they are still far from going Division III
(Division I -- that's dreaming!) for a few reasons; $$, gender equity and
the athletic department doesn't look too favorably upon hockey.

$$-The Icers (not Nittany Lions!!) would be the second most expensive sport
on campus, behind JoePa's boys. Even though the Icers sell out most home
games, there are no plans to expand the arena to adequate seating--we're
building a basketball facility because that's the top $$ Big Ten sport.

Gender equity-the university just added women's soccer to meet the 60/40,
so the addition of a men's team would be tough.

The athletic department-there's been some wierd politics regarding hockey
on the campus. I think a lot the higher-ups still see hockey as a
goon-squad sport--even though fighting is basically inconsequential in
college hockey.

But, the program hasn't really suffered. Thanks to a dedicated squad of
university people, students and community volunteers, the team ends up with
a lot of academic support and has one of the highest grade point averages
on campus. I don't have the numbers, but the graduation rate is pretty
good, too. A team of students does all the marketing, home-game operations,
etc. and a community booster club provides funding, so the team is pretty
self-sufficient.

This isn't to say the Icers wouldn't like to go Division III in the near
future, but no one around here is holding their breath.

Jen Bortz

Alumna Icer Sports Information Director and
Hockey Stringer--Centre Daily Times