From:
Dave Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 1994 16:35:55 EST
In reference to Charles O'Brien's comments, I believe the Powers situation and
the conference situation are mutually exclusive.  How could Powers leaving to BG
affect a ECAC/HE decision?  BG is in neither.  Also, the RPI admin never really
said anything other that that they are "considering" a move to HE.  The
motivation WAS obvious.  Over the past number of years, the ECAC as a conference
has received very little respect or recognition except for the individual
national championship teams.  HE has gotten virtually all the publicity re
college hockey on the east coast because, as much as I hate to admit it, HE has
been a much stronger conference top to bottom over that time period.  However,
the ECAC is now much better with top notch teams of Harvard, RPI, and Clarkson.
And there are still three or four other quality teams in the conference.

It's a cycle just like baseball's AL.  Who dominated the early 70's?  AL East.
The  mid 70's?  West.  Late 70's/early 80's?  East.  Late '80's?  West.  Early
90's?  East.  I think you get my point.  It looks like the ECAC is on the rise
and HE on the downswing.  It was inevitable.  The advantage will eventually
swing back to HE.  When, you ask?  Well, let me look in my crystal puck...;-)

Anyway, MHO is that RPI SHOULD NOT MOVE TO HOCKEY EAST!! [Sorry to be so vocal
:-) ]

Dave / RPI '91
LET'S GO RED!!