From:
BRUCE SPENCER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BRUCE SPENCER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 1994 10:09:57 -0400
Mike writes:

>In all likelihood, Maine has a list of players who they would be
>interested in should scholarships become available.  They could
>contact those players and make them an offer, though it might be late.
>It's not unusual to land players this late who turn out to be solid
>contributors, especially with the recent cutback of scholarships from
>20 to 18 - fewer scholarships available tends to mean more good
>players who don't get them and are still looking.

UNH had a situation similar to this two years ago when Jeff Levi left after
his sophomore year to turn pro.  Because it was unexpected UNH did not
recruit any goalies that year.  When Jeff left they were down to one goalie
(Brett Abel) with limited game experience. They needed a goalie and had a
scholarship available.  They ended up getting Trent Cavicchi out of Nova
Scotia.

A key when admitting student athletes seems to be that although they must
meet admissions qualifications the admissions deadlines that other students
are guided by are often waived for student athletes.

Other UNH notes:

The local paper reported that Dick Umile had agreed to a three year contract
and that signing was a mere formality.  Details of the contract were not
disclosed.  Umile was quoted as saying "This is where I want to be.  I love
the school and the community and everything about it.  ...I have one of
the best jobs in the country to be honest with you."

The annual hockey alumni golf tournament was held on Monday.  Notables of
interest to hockey-l participating were Bruce Crowder from UMass Lowell
and Bill Beaney from Middlebury.  Former players from all over the USA and
Canada return every year to raise funds for the program.

If anyone needs directions to JFK arena in Manchester for next year let me
know.

Bruce "Spence"r
UNH '71