From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 09:28:10 EDT
>I REALLY BOTHERS ME TO SEE PEOPLE ON THE LINE RIP THE FERRAROS.  I HAPEN
>TO KNOW THEM PERSONALLY AND THEY ARE GREAT KIDS, SURE THEY MAY HAVE A
>PUSHY FATHER, STILL THEY ARE GREAT GUYS.  AS FOR BRIAN MORRIS TRYING T
>SAY THAT THEY SIGNED BECAUSE OF GREED THAT JUST MAKES ME LAUGH!! THERE
>FATHER HAS ENOUGH MONEY TO HAVE THOSE TWO SET FOR THE REST OF THEIR
>LIVES.  THESE TWO JUST WANT TO PLAY HOCKEY PERIOD.  THEY ARE THE MOST

I don't intend to prolong this discussion, since it is slightly off-subject.
But I don't want to leave any misconceptions out their regarding my opinion
of the Ferraros.

1. I am a big fan of the twins.  They are potentially the most exciting
American-born players eligible for the NHL ever, if they are presented
appropriately.  I would hate for them to end up as Bobby Carpenters, highly
hyped, but unable to live up to their press coverage.  I have followed the
twins' career closely, as my posts to the list have shown, and I intend to
continue.  I am sure they are great guys, since they have shown an enormous
amount of determination to get as far as they have coming from an area which
doesn't feature a development system like Massachusetts or Minnesota.

2. My use of greed may have been inartful, but my point is that I think they
want to be reimbursed for playing.  Understandable, but IMHO short-sighted.
Some of their luster has worn off since the US didn't medal, and Chris didn't
play (probably because of the mononucleosis.)  One more year at Maine, where
they really had the opportunity to be the toast of college hockey, would have
improved their bargaining position.  Imagine the clout of a pair of twins who
return to their college to lead their team to the championship (not a
prediction, just a fantasy) and then decide to turn pro.  I think the twins
would have had a shot at Adam Oates-type money (the biggest signing bonus ever
until Lindros and maybe the Russians) in accepting to play for an NHL team
(other than the Rangers.)  The twins would certainly have enjoyed the
favorable position that Paul Kariya is now in, waiting for the Ducks to send
him a contract that he likes, rather than just sending a contract.  They could
light up the IHL this year, but that won't improve their marketablility.

3. My greatest hope would be to see their rights traded to the Islanders, where
they play on a team with at least 4 American-born collegiate players, and lead
the team back to the Stanley Cup.  But whatever, I hope they succeed with their
career choices.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris