From:
Spraguer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 8 May 1994 14:22:45 -0400
        I agree.  I mean, sure, the shootout between Canada and Sweden
was really exciting, but I don't think you can consider that hockey.
It's a team sport, and as such, it should be won or lost by a TEAM, not
by a few players and a goalie.  Even the Swedes thought it was a terrible
way to win.  As a player myself, I can say that I would personally not
like to end ANY game that way.  A well-earned tie is better than winning
or losing by chance.
        As a Maine fan, I can see why Walsh would favor the shootout,
with the solid goaltending Maine always has, and with the usually
consistent offensive skills they have.  I don't think it's a positive
step for the game, however.  You don't see basketball games being decided
on free throws...

        -Brian Sprague