From:
Kristen Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kristen Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 1994 23:22:53 EDT
Well, I've been incommunicado for the better part of a week due to a huge
project I'm working on--it still isn't done, but it's driving me berserk, so
I'm taking a break to check my e-mail and tell you all everything I know about
Anzalone.  I'm not sure what he did before LSSU--although I'm pretty sure I
can find out--but I know he hasn't managed to hold a job for more than a year
since being fired by LSSU.  First, he went to Newmarket of the AHL (a Leafs
affiliate, I believe), but he did not stay with the organization when the team
went defunct.  The next season, he was in Nashville, but he was canned at the
end of the season.  Then he was coaching high school hockey somewhere--New
Jersey?  Now he's coaching Roanoke, and doing well.  It's strange to talk about
Frankie again.  I've always viewed him with a mixture of hatred, loathing, and
grudging respect.  He's a good coach, but he's a horrible person, IMO.  He does
have his moments though.  I remember him sitting Mark Astley on the bench for
about 50 minutes of a game because he scored a goal.  Anzalone thought Astley
was scoring too much for a defenseman, and warned him about it, but Astley
ended up with the puck on a breakaway and scored--much to his chagrin.  Not
exactly fair of Frankie, but it was consistent.  I'm glad he's gone--he's not
good for college sports, which requires a certain amount of PR ability, both
when dealing with the community and with the university (which Frankie really
screwed up--there are tremendous amounts of hostility toward the athletic
department from other areas at LSSU).  He wasn't too good with the community,
either--he always made sure everyone knew that he was tired of living in Sault
Ste. Marie, and he was going to find a better job as soon as possible.  Plus
refusing to recruit talented local players, and refusing to allow the kids
from the figure skating club to skate between periods, which had been a nice
tradition.  But he was a good coach, and he did do a lot for LSSU.  He had
stopped doing much for the community long before 1990 though.

Sorry this is kind of rambling, but I've been going without sleep, too, and I'm
not sure I can be more coherent than this.

Kristen Robinson