From:
James Old <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Old <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 18:30:00 EST
I can speak to the question of why Anzalone left LSSU.  There was no player
mutiny.  Anzalone was interviewing for the Denver U. job which was up at the
time.  He was unhappy with his salary at Lake Superior and angered that LSSU
had allowed then assistant coach Jeff Jackson to be hired away by Michigan
State.  He stated all this publicly and was apparently quoted in the Denver
press.  Well, Frank did not get the Denver job (some people thought that Denver
might have been leaning toward Anzalone, but backed off because of the way he
publically mouthed off about his current employer).  Whan Anzalone got back to
Sault Ste. Marie, he found that the LSSU administration was incensed about his
comments and the local fans were not too pleased either.  Anzalone was fired
within days and the university hired Jeff Jackson as head coach to take his
place.  Anzalone filed a lawsuit which was eventually dropped.

The attitude toward Anzalone in Sault Ste. Marie is still that he is the person
who made LSSU hockey what it is - a dependable Div I powerhouse.  Although the
team's play is much more open than it was in the Anzalone days it still uses
the basic style of play that Anzalone won the '88 title with.  The University
simply made a decision that he was personally too obnoxious to keep around.

I would very much like to know what he is up to now, if anyone knows.

James Old