From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 1994 02:09:09 -0400
>To those interested fans:
>               Yesterday, my friend Sherry and I travelled to the
>great Canadian capital to see Women's hockey: Us vs. Canada.
>The game was fast, and by the passion with which they played, you
>could tell this game meant a lot to the women players.  Probably more so
>than their usual games with their home teams.

I hope that would be that case for any player, at any level. Playing for your
country, whether in an exhibiton or not, should always mean more than playing
for your club.

>               The score was: Canada 3, Us 2.  One of the US goals
>were disallowed due to players in the crease at the time of the goal;
>thereby preventing a tied game.  I was amazed at the fans present at
>the arena for women's hoceky is not that popular in the US.  I was
>also alarmed at the ignorance of hockey (in general) that some of the
>fans around me possessed.  And the fact that people around me called
>it girl's hockey versus womens was not benificial to giving respect to
>women's hockey like it deserves.  If these players were 16 or 17 years
>old, "girl's hockey" would have been fine, but we are dealing with
>players 22, 23, etc. years old.  These are women, not girls.

And she was in the crease, too. I was sitting above that end zone and it was
obvious to me. (Of course, I was looking through red and white glasses :-) ).
The number of fans didn't surprise me. The World Women's Championship was held
in Ottawa four years ago, and I think the National Championship was here last
year, so there is a grassroots base of support for it. It was interesting to
me, though, because I saw a lot of people that I didn't usually see at hockey
games.

As far as what to call it. I call it women's hockey, but maybe everyone else
is thinking of Hayley Wickenheiser, the 15-year-old on Team Canada. :-)

>             Anyway, the crowd was very supportive.  Erin Whitten was
>named the MVP for the US, and Manon Rheaume was named the MVP for the
>Canadians.  I was impressed by the finesse and the flexibility in which
>these women played hockey.  I was disturbed (again) by the rule in
>which women are not allowed to check each other.  With the exception
>of goalies, I realize that women hockey players do not possess the upper
>body strenght in which to play at the NHL level.  BUT why do the
>officials of women's hockey insist that checking be disallowed amongst
>the women players?  I know of several female players who have quit to
>join amateur men's teams because their style of play is too rough
>according to the rules.  If checking were allowed, I believe that
>women's hockey would gain more publicity, respect, and fans.

I think the MVP choices were right on. Both goalies played well, but Rheaume
played slightly better. I thought Canada had the better scoring opportunities
overall, although the shot count was fairly even. (Don't worry, Bri, I did
say Whitten played well. :-))

The World Championship four years ago allowed body contact, but in 1992 they
didn't, and they won't this year. I'd like to see it, myself. I think that
hitting is a part of hockey, no matter who is playing it, male or female.

Anyways, here's what I managed to scrawl down about the game.

Karen Nystrom scored for Canada in the first to make the score 1-0. It was
a bad-angle shot that bounced past Erin Whitten, really flukey, IMHO. Canada's
second goal was scored by Laura Leslie on a deflection in front of the net,
while on the power play. Marianne Grnak and France St-Louis got the assists.
Hayley Wickenheiser scored Canada's third goal in the third period on a shot
from the right face-off circle that beat Whitten cleanly. That one was
unassisted.

The US scored their first goal in the second period. Christina Bailey scored
thanks to a scramble in front of the net. Assists went to Stephanie O'Sullivan
and Karen Bye. Cammi Granato got the US' second goal in the 3rd with a nice
shot that beat Rheaume high to the glove side.

I was quite impressed with Hayley Wickenheiser's play. I can't believe that
someone who is only a 15-year-old is able to compete and do well at this
level. I think she's going to be around for a long time.

Shots: Canada: 9, 8,13 = 30  U.S.A.: 9,11, 8 = 28

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards         Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr. Senators (CJHL, Jr. A)
Poli Sci/Law III                    PRINCE GEORGE SUCKS!