From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 17:25:29 -0400
Steve Weisfeldt writes:
>I hope my comments weren't taken as insulting, because they certainly
>weren't meant to be.  And yes while a statement like "hardest working
>team" does imply some sense of inferiority, my point was that I always
>thought Anderson's teams played above their ability-level far more often
>than any other team in the league.

I could see that.  I didn't think your comments were insulting;
sorry if I implied that.  Rather, I wanted to explain how it is nice to
be considered a team that works hard, but the program has higher
aspirations than that.  For example, a certain unnamed former college
coach said after his team was upset by Merrimack several years ago,
"Well, it was good for the league."  That's not what we're after.  The
goal is to reach the point where a Merrimack win over anybody is
considered the same as anybody else's win - when a win over Maine or
BU won't be a surprise.

That "good for the league" quote has basically been driving Merrimack
hockey for a few years now, and it may never be forgotten.  It is
brought up every few weeks, at least.  I am sure you can see how
patronizing it was taken to be (not that I took the "hard working"
statement the same way - that is actually a compliment, IMO).

Maybe we have higher expectations than people outside MC; I tend to
think so.

>As the recent regular season was
>winding down, I was praying for someone other than Merrimack (this was
>before the Maine debacle) would finish in 7th place.  No way did I want to
>play Merrimack in the first round of the HE play-offs!!

I heard the same sentiments from BU people.  Of course, that was
during the five game win streak when Merrimack was allowing an average
of 2.40 goals/game.  MC wound up dropping its last 7, with a GAA of
5.14 in those games.  5 of those 7 games were very winnable.  That is
what inexperience will do to you.  Lowell ended up handling MC rather
easily, although the second game was a doozy and close until Bazin's
second goal with 1:29 left.  Rollie was the story.

Steve, you've got to tell us how to get email to you.  You have the
return address from Hell. :-)

The annual Merrimack hockey banquet takes place Sunday night.  Heather
and I will be there, and I will try to post the awards that are given
out as I usually do.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93