From:
Christopher Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 14:19:48 PDT
>If I remember correctly, RIT was one of the schools seriously considered
>when the ECAC went looking for a team to replace Army, so the ECAC
>certainly considered them in the same class as Union.

That's correct. RIT was the #2 choice after Union to take Army's
spot. However, my understanding is that the Institute didn't actively
pursue the idea at the time. RIT's ultimate plans for their hockey
program vary depending on who you talk to.

I'm all in favor, but there a re many roadblocks, especially money,
rink size (only 2,100) and geography -  RIT is about 100 miles
northwest of Cornell. Who would be their travel partner?

The ECAC West, which used to have 17 teams, is shrinking fast.
In 1993, 7 SUNYAC schools left, Binghamton and St. Bonaventure
dropped hockey, Hamilton went to the ECAC East, and in 1995
Scranton is going to the ECAC South (which is a good move for
them after going 0-21 and being outscored something like 300-30).
But that leaves just 5 teams- Canisius, Elmira, Hobart, Mercyhurst,
RIT. Strong programs, but more trouble could be on the way with
rumors of Mercyhurst and Canisius also leaving. RIT could be forced into a
decision unless they want to become an independent.

>RIT women's hockey
>already plays teams like Harvard, Princeton, etc.

Yes, but they're "playing up" - they're still a D-III program. The
ECAC did away with their D-III women's conference, forcing the six
schools to decided to play up or go indy. St. Lawrence, Colby and RIT are
playing up. Bowdoin, Middlebury and Wesleyan went independent.

Chris Lerch
Xerox
RIT '84 & '91