From:
Christopher Lerch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 14:04:21 PDT
>>..there would be a split of DivIII into DivIII-A and DivIII-AA, so
>>that teams who aren't of the caliber of Stevens Point, Plattsburgh,
>>RIT, etc. and who don't aspire to be of that caliber, can still have
>>the opportunity to play for a national title.  I.e., much of the ECAC
>>North/Central/South and perhaps some of the MIAC teams.

>Another very good idea. In the old days, the East/West/SUNY schools
>used to be called ECAC Division II, even though they are NC$$ Division
>III schools. The caliber of play in East/West/SUNY is much higher
>than in North/South/Central.

Actually, a lot of these teams WERE in Division II back then. Once the
D-II tournament was eliminated in 1984, RIT, Elmira, Union, etc. went
down to D-III. There was some hope in 1993 when the D-II tournament
was restored these teams would move up again, but now it looks like
the D-II tournament is again being eliminated.

Chris Lerch
Xerox
RIT '84 & '91