From:
Ryan G Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan G Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 14:51:30 -0400
Mud writes:

> these women played hockey.  I was disturbed (again) by the rule in
> which women are not allowed to check each other.  With the exception
> of goalies, I realize that women hockey players do not possess the upper
> body strenght in which to play at the NHL level.  BUT why do the
> officials of women's hockey insist that checking be disallowed amongst
> the women players?  I know of several female players who have quit to
> join amateur men's teams because their style of play is too rough
> according to the rules.  If checking were allowed, I believe that
> women's hockey would gain more publicity, respect, and fans.

Since I did not see the game, I am not sure how tightly the checking was called,
but I know that in the College games I have seen, with consistent officiating
(which isn't always the case), quite a bit of leeway is given with regards to
contact.
I think the game is better without the BIG body checks now prevailent in Men's
Hockey.  I think the no-checking rule, when called leinently, gets rid of all of
the unnecessary football style checks and allows the one necessary for actually
getting the puck (since that SHOULD be the intention of a body check).  I think
it leads to a purer more international style game which I like better.
Unfortunately, you are probably right when you say that it would gain more fans,
since the regular fan simply wants to see people bang into each other and goals
scored.  The casual viewer tends to miss the beauty of a nice flowing passing
game.

Ryan Stone
Rensselaer '93 & '95
Lawrence '93